Aside from all the running, climbing, pedaling and other exertion, the Mountain Sports Festival is hosting some of the best local and regional music acts. See the schedule for performance times; all bands perform at the main stage at Festival Village. Here are a few notes about who's making the tunes:
• Ruby Slippers -- Fronted by Molly Kummerle, the Slippers play a mix of jazz, blues, and pop standards as well as originals.
• Schooner -- Up-and-coming rock and roll from eastern North Carolina.
• Cadillac Jones -- Jazz and funk from an all-around great jam band.
• Greasy Beans -- Local bluegrass faves with old-timey sensibilities.
• Jen and the Juice -- Jazz- and folk-influenced Americana.
• Fifth House -- Another jazz and funk jam band that combines grooves and ballads.
• The Bridge -- A Baltimore bank with an eclectic sound of bluegrass, rock,and funk -- with a little beat-boxing thrown in for good measure.
• King Johnson -- Rockin' blues act from Atlanta.
• Marc Yaxley trio -- High-energy jazz improvisation.
• Jim Crew's Shimmy Shack Band -- Soulful jazz and grooves.
• Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes -- One of New Orleans' hottest acts specializes in roots rock.