The crowd at the Masonic Temple listened, laughed and applauded eagerly at Friday night's Mountain Xpress
poetry prize event. Nine finalists in the contest read their winning poems, along with longtime Asheville poet Laura Hope-Gill, Mesha Maren and Matt Owens of the Juniper Bends reading series and Brian Sneeden and Matt Mulder of the Rooftop Poets. Keith Flynn and the Holy Men closed out the evening.
The winning moment, captured by Jesse Hamm:
Mountain Xpress Poetry Prize winner Brian Sneeden from Jesse Hamm on Vimeo.
The finalists' poems will be published in the April 20 Xpress
• James Cox, “By the Lake in Northern Michigan”
• James Davis, “Sourwood”
• John Eells, “Sleep And Dreams”
• Jessica Claire Newton, “Two Weeks Deep Into the Dirty Laundry”
• Randal Pride, “Coal Palace”
• Andrew Procyk, “Life and Death”
• Jesse S. Rice-Evans, “Taking A Bath In Frida Kahlo's Tub”
• Jessie Shires, “Corpus unum”
• Brian Sneeden, “The Temple”
• Tamsen Turner, “Sestina”
Read more articles in:
A + E
Subscribe to XpressMail. Free Sneak Peek. Every Week.
Want to know what's coming out in Xpress this week before the paper even hits the stands?
We've got your free sneak peek, along with deals available in XpressMail, our weekly email newsletter. (It's the best we can do without time travel.)