• The inimitable Miriam Allen (pictured) kicks off the weekend with her special brew of soulful Tex-Mex Americana fusion at the French Broad Brewery (101 Fairview Rd., Asheville, 277-0222). 6 p.m., tips.
• Folk-rockers The Scenic Roots play a free show at Asheville Pizza and Brewing Company (77 Coxe Ave., Asheville, 255-4077) 6 p.m.
• Master of many genres Aaron LaFalce will be at Vincenzo's Piano Bar (10 N Market St., Asheville, 254-4698). 7:30 p.m., tips.
• Will Bradford of SeePeopleS is join local acoustic/experiemntal musician Sven Hoosen (pictured) for an appearance at Westville Pub (777 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 225-9782). 9 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 9
• Acoustic Swing plays a standing gig at Blue Mountain Pizza (5 N. Main St., Weaverville, 658-8777). 7 p.m., free for diners.
• Asheville-based folk singer Katie LaRue (pictured) still has a notice on her Myspace page about a house show with Adrianne that took place April 26. Must have been a great show — hopefully Katie's gig at the Hookah Bar (50 Commerce St., Asheville, 252-1522) will top it. 8 p.m., $5.
• Country-blues act Megan Jean puts in an appearance at The Back Room (2702 Greenville Hwy., Ste C., Flat Rock, 697-6828). 9 p.m.
• Asheville retro-rockers Mother Soul (pictured) continue their comeback bid in a shared gig with pop rockers Lewis at The Rocket Club (401 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 505-2494). Lewis will release a new CD at the show. 9 p.m., $5.
• Actual Proof comes up from Charlotte to get all vibraphone groovy at Mo Daddy's (77 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 258-1550). 9 p.m., $5.
• Head to Jack of the Wood (95 Patton Ave., Asheville, 252-5445) for old school soul, jazz and blues with Hector Qirko (pictured). 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 10
• Blue Ridge Pride kicks off at noon (running 'til 8 p.m.) in downtown Asheville's Martin Luther King, Jr. Park. The music lineup includes Now You See Them (12:45 p.m.), Izzy and The Kesstronics (pictured -- 1:45 p.m.), DJs LTP & Soulja Byrd with Hoopers (2:45 p.m.), Runaway Circus with Mountain Circus Arts and Parade (3:45 p.m.), Heart of Glass (4:30 p.m.), female impersonators (5:30 p.m.) and Boogie Hustlers (6:30 p.m.) -- all day long, all fabulous and all free.
• Bryson City's bluegrass/gospel act Rye Holler Boys perform at the Leaf Festival of Cashiers Valley (The Village Green, Cashiers, 743-3434) at 3 p.m., free. The festival runs from Thursday-Saturday; other acts include Galen Kipar on Friday, Moon Shine Babies, The Honey Cutters and BJ Thomas on Saturday.
• WSNB (that stands for "We Sing Nasty Blues") performs at the Asheville Moose Lodge (1 Mooseheart Lane, West Asheville) for "Scotty’s 2nd annual 49th birthday party." The event is free; showtime is listed as 7 p.m., but there's a rumor of BBQ and beer starting at 4 p.m.
• Here's a show to which you probably won't take your visiting-from-out-of-town Granny: Nervous Sex at Static Age (82-A North lexington Ave., Asheville, 254-3232). Drums Like Machine Guns (pictured) and Pig Breath share the bill. 8 p.m.
• Get past the track names ("Meaty-Go-Round" and "Blood on the Wood"), Asheville's John Wilkes Boothe & the Black Toothe is melodically lovely. Catch the folk-noir group at The Boiler Room (11 Grove St., Asheville, 505-1612) with Kovacs & the Polar Bear. 9 p.m., $5.
• Catch Bluestopia Highway ([pictured) at Westville Pub (777 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 225-9782). 9 p.m., $5.
• Chapel Hill's 100 Yorktown promises to rock you "harder and longer." And for a good cause: To reopen 24-hour coffee shop Caffiend. The benefit takes place at The Garage (101 Fairview Rd., Asheville, 505-2663). Show also includes DJ Position, KIMATHIR, Iam Somnus and Joe Flash with special intermission sets by KNI KNOO. 9 p.m. Buy tickets online to get the discount advance price of $5.
Read more articles in:A + E