Also, as of July 12th, the Department of Health’s STD services will be co-located with Family Planning services at our location on 53 South French Broad Avenue. This building is located at the corner of South French Broad Avenue and Hilliard Street, across the street from Aston Park and from United Way.
Additional changes are planned for January 2012 when the County’s Department of Social Services (DSS) and Department of Health will co-locate many of their services at an integrated Human Services facility at the current DSS Building on Coxe Avenue, near the bus terminal, making it easier for clients to get the services they need in one location.
BC Department of Health’s Clinical Services at 53 S. French Broad Ave include:
• Family Planning (birth control methods, Pap tests, pregnancy tests, emergency contraception)
• Breast and Cervical Cancer Control (BCCCP) and WiseWoman programs (breast and cervical exams, mammograms, heart health screening and prevention education)
• STD (STD testing & treatment, HIV testing), at South French Broad location beginning July 12th
• Lab and Pharmacy for health services clients
WIC Services (nutrition and breastfeeding support) are in several convenient locations:
• 297 Haywood Street, located just off Patton Ave in downtown Asheville, near Patton Avenue bridge
• Buncombe County Human Services – WEST, located at 339 Leicester Hwy, Suite 120
• Black Mountain United Methodist Church, at 101 Church St in Black Mountain (1st Monday of month)
• Patients at Minnie Jones Health Center and MAHEC Women’s can get WIC services when they go to their prenatal appointments
Environmental Health Services are located at 30 Valley St, downtown Asheville (828-250-5016)
Birth & Death Certificates are located at 200 College Street, 4th floor, downtown Asheville (828-250-5213)
All other BC Department of Health services are located at 35 Woodfin Street (Ground Floor –“A” Level)
• Immunizations (including Foreign Travel Immunizations)
• TB Services (TB skin tests, x-ray screening & evaluation, treatment)
• School Health Nursing, Nurse-Family Partnership, and Community Health Outreach
The following providers will work with the Department of Health to assure that prenatal care services are available for pregnant women who are Medicaid eligible, uninsured and underinsured:
• Minnie Jones Health Center – MAHEC Family Health Center – MAHEC Women’s Health
• BC Department of Health will continue to provide pregnancy testing and wrap around (support) services such as WIC for pregnant women and children, as well as continue to be responsible for assuring access to prenatal care services. Many of these support services are co-located where clients receive their prenatal care.
For more information or to make BCDH appointments, please call 828.250.5000