Tags:Thursday, Dec. 23
• Mo-Daddy's (77 Biltmore Avenue, 258-1550) hosts the sweet, soulful Americana of Heather Luttrell and Underhill Rose. However, be warned; if you're feeling homesick, this show is guaranteed to intensify the longing. 9 p.m. $5.
• "Whether it's an original piece or the works of Elizabeth Cotten to Townes Van Zandt, Kevin [Scanlon] is able to perform a very authentic sound, especially when his harmonica is hanging from his harness," reads the his bio. "In the past years, Kevin has toured all over the eastern seaboard playing with a diverse group of artists, as well as solo performing. He has performed with a professional vocal ensemble, a few bluegrass groups, folk projects, rock and roll, and projects in Irish music from traditional to modern Irish punk." Catch him at The Root Bar (1410 Tunnel Road, 299-7597). 9:30 p.m. Free.
Friday, Dec. 24
• Jack of the Wood (95 Patton Avenue, 252-5445) invites you to "have a bluegrassy Christmas, y'all" with Brooklyn transplant Fred Skellenger & Copper Kettle. 8:30 p.m.
• White Horse Black Mountain (105 C Montreat Road, Black Mountain, 669-0816) spreads holiday cheer with a special Christmas Eve performance by Zach Blew, Bob Hinkle, Kim Hughes and more. 7 p.m. Free.
Saturday, Dec. 25
• Need an escape from the 24-hour Christmas Story marathon you've been watching all afternoon? Sled on over to Tressa's Downtown Jazz and Blues (28 Broadway Street, 254-7072) for the "old skool" R&B and funk of The Free Flow Band.
Sunday, Dec. 26
• Christmas is officially over. That means it's time to trade the cheerful jingles for ear-splitting rock 'n' roll. What better way to start than with the gritty, chaotic blues of Shake it like a Caveman at The Get Down (1045 Haywood Road, 505-8388).