Health officials continue to investigate how lead dust from an indoor firing range traveled into other areas of a building on the campus of Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College.
Tests showed elevated levels of lead on all three floors of the Hemlock building. The college evacuated the building Tuesday and moved classes to other areas of campus until the building can be cleaned and reopened.
But before that can happen, health officials want to know how the lead got into those other parts of the building.
“We are still trying to figure out how the lead traveled to the top two floors (of the building),” said Gibbie Harris, Buncombe County health director.
The firing range is on the ground floor, where lead levels were the highest. But elevated levels of lead were also found on the second and third floors of the building, Harris said.
Read the full article
Read more articles in:News