It was Oct. 4, 1780. A Patriot army of some 1,600 men made camp for the night on the banks of the Green River at a crossing that would later become known as Alexander’s Ford.
The militia had traveled nearly 300 miles, with some soldiers having come from as far away as Tennessee and Virginia, in pursuit of Maj. Patrick Ferguson and his British army.
Unbeknown to the Patriots, it would be their final rest before fighting the Redcoats in the bloody Battle of Kings Mountain. ...
The new preserve, permanently protected by a 162-acre conservation easement, is the result of persistent efforts of Polk County, the Marjorie M. and Lawrence R. Bradley Endowment Fund of the Polk County Community Foundation and Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy. ...Read the full article