The Buncombe County Planning Board is having its final public hearing on the proposed county outdoor lighting standards this Monday, December 5, 2011 at 9:30 am in the Commissioners’ Chambers located at 30 Valley Street downtown.
Send your emails to email@example.com and ask her to forward them onto the Planning Board.
Here are the abbreviated email points:
Thank you for crafting outdoor lighting standards for Buncombe County.
Please include the following important changes to your current version of the standards:
1. Restrict the installation of all dusk-to-dawn yard lights, not just ones mounted on poles higher than 12 feet.
2. Implement a 5-year sunset clause for all dusk-to-dawn yard lights, requiring them to be fully shielded or removed.
3. Eliminate the 180-day replacement window for replacing non-compliant light fixtures; require that replacement light fixtures be compliant fixtures regardless of when they are installed. (This would cover all lighting that is part of the new lighting standards including street lights and commercial lighting, etc.)
4. Update the sign ordinance to prohibit "up" lighting of any sign or billboard.
5. Include government buildings and construction in the standards, especially schools and ball fields. Don't exempt yourself from the standards; lead by example.