• Attending Legislative Overview at ABTech. 180 RSVPed, & they're all here.
• Rep. McGrady in attendance. K. Ray Bailey, Manheimer, Hunt, Pelly are here too. Lots of nonprofit leaders as well.
• Legislative Overview sponsored by United Way, Community Foundation, LWV, CF/CIS, and others.
• Buncombe County median household income declined 5.4% from 2007 to 2010. Unemployment rose from 3.7% to 8% in the same period.
• Recent uptick in unemployment largely due to loss of public sector jobs due to #ncga budget cuts.
• NC Justice Center predicts return to pre-recession emploment levels in 2015. However, if we add jobs at current pace, it will be 2062.
• 14 of 20 fastest growing occupations in NC pay less than living wage.
• From FY08-FY12 there was a 23% increase in Medicaid-eligible individuals. The budget for them was increased by only 1%.
• "Every $ of tax cuts must be paid for with cuts to public investments in education, health, public safety, and clean air and water."
• Total reduction to the Education budget: $924m (8%) in FY11-12, $926m in FY2012-13.
• Total reduction to Health&Human Services budget: $433m (9%) in FY11-12, $473m in FY12-13.
• Total reduction to the Justice &Public Safety budget: $166m (7%) in FY11-12, $159m in FY12-13.
• Loss of additional $513m in Federal matching Medicaid funds due to state cuts.
• Sorry for all the lousy news first thing in the morning, y'all, but this is the context within which all local decisions are being made.
• #ncga looking at eliminating Medicaid services - dental, podiatry, hospice, hearing aids. Already eliminated vision care/eyeglasses.
• Truly balancing the budget on the backs of the poor.