Don't forget, January 5, 2012 is the LAST day to pay your Buncombe County property taxes before the 2 percent interest is added on January 6, 2012.
On January 6, interest of 2 percent will be added to any unpaid balance on a tax bill and ¾ percent will be added each month thereafter.
Property Tax Bill Payments postmarked by the US Postal Service on or before January 5 will be accepted on time.
Payment options include:
• Mail (Postmarked on or before the January 5).
• Drive-up payment box located at:
35 Woodfin Street, where the Tax Department is now located. The payment box is located on the driver’s side of the driveway as you exit 35 Woodfin Street. Payments placed in our drop box on January 5 or the night of the 5th will be considered on time.
• Credit Card – by phone or the web. (There is a convenience fee for using a credit card – please see the back of your bill)
• Electronic Check
If taxes are not paid on time and the taxpayer has not set up a payment plan with the Tax Office, forced tax collection measures may take place at anytime once the bill is past due. These measures can include attachment of the taxpayer’s bank account or wage garnishment. Additional fees are included for each of these measures. In addition, banks also charge additional fees for processing bank attachments.
The Tax Office encourages taxpayers to contact the Tax Office if their taxes are delinquent:
• By phone at (828) 250-4910
• In person in the Tax Office now located at 35 Woodfin Street. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
There are several programs that can help citizens with tax payment including:
• Preauthorized debit program – payments deducted from a checking or savings account each month
• Prepay taxes – some taxpayers begin making monthly payments as early as January each year and prepay their taxes before they receive a bill in August.
For automated information about tax bills and payments or other tax issues, citizens can access the Automated Information Line by calling 250-4910 and pressing the number “1.” Information on this line includes:
last day to pay before interest begins
credit card information
drive-up payment box directions
print bills and receipts online at buncombecounty.org/tax.
The tax website offers many options for taxpayers. You can print bills, print receipts, and look up property information. Read the full article