Tags:Carolina Public Press' "WNC Confidential" column — written by former Mountain Xpress Managing Editor Jon Elliston — points the way to some very early numbers in the 10th Congressional district, redrawn last year to pull Asheville from the 11th.
As of Dec. 31, 2011 (the most recent filing of candidate-funding information to the Federal Election Commission)
• 10th District incumbent Patrick McHenry (Republican) had $256,817 cash on hand
• challenger and Asheville Mayor Terry Mayor (Democrat) had $55,597
• Republican challenger Ken Fortenberry had $2,002
• Democrat challenger Timothy Murphy had $647
• and Democrat challenger Heath Wynn had $3
The numbers come from candidate reports analyzed by OpenSecrets.org, "a site maintained by the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington, D.C.-based nonpartisan watchdog group," Elliston says in his report. He also notes, "candidates who’ve jumped in the race since then won’t be submitting reports until the end of 2012’s first quarter."
So stay tuned. For more information about campaign financing for our region, such as data for the 11th district, go to carolinapublicpress.org or click on the "read the full article" link.
Read the full article