Tags:From the press release:
ASHEVILLE, NC – Regional conservation nonprofit Wild South announced today the Nominee Finalists for the 2011 Roosevelt-Ashe Society Conservation Awards. The awards recognize and honor outstanding conservation work in 2011 to protect wild places in the South. The nominees represent six states and exemplify dedication and passion for environmental conservation. The Winners will be announced and Awards presented at The 4th Annual Green Oscars – the Roosevelt-Ashe Society’s Green Tie Gala - held March 23, 2012 in Asheville, NC.
"Conservation groups know that we cannot realize our vision with staff and volunteers alone,” said Tracy Davids, Wild South’s Executive Director. "Success requires the support of each citizen who believes in the power of a South with healthy, intact ecosystems.”
“The award winners are champions for all of us to believe we can change this world, we can change our destructive behaviors, we can make a difference.” said Randy Talley, co-owner of The Green Sage.
“The Roosevelt-Ashe Society Conservation Awards have always attracted high caliber nominees, and this year continues that tradition. These conservation heroes all have their own amazing stories of passion for a cause, hard work, and victory,” said Virginia Dollar, Award Selection Committee member.
Community Partners for The 4th Annual Green Oscars include The Green Sage Café, Deltec Homes, Eagles Nest Outfitters, Mountain High Outfitters, Pisgah Brewing Co., Hickory Nut Gap Farm, Earth Fare, Blackbird Frame & Art, Greenlife Grocery, Sour Grapes, LLC, Celine & Co. Catering's “On Broadway”.
Wild South is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to enjoy, value and protect the wild character and natural legacy of the South.
Lifetime Achievement Award
• Ralph White (James River Park, VA)
• Don Hendershot (Smoky Mountain News, NC)
• David Joy (Crossroads Chronicles, “Growing Gills”, NC)
• Glynn Wilson (Locust Fork News, AL)
• Greenway Transit Services, LLC (Durham, NC)
• Highland Craftsmen, Inc (Spruce Pine, NC)
• Cherokee Indian Hospital (Cherokee, NC)
• Margaret Copeland (Audubon MS/Friends of Noxubee, MS)
• Robin Hinter (Georgia Forest Watch, GA)
• Carmen Cantrell (Clinch Coalition, VA)
• Mark Case (Southern Guilford High, NC)
• Maggie Johnston (McDowell Environmental Center, AL)
• Blair Ogburn (Balsam Mountain Preserve, NC)
• Barry Sulkin (TN PEER Director, TN)
• Mark Miller (SAFC- VA Organizer, VA)
• Jeff Hunter (SAFC- TN Wild Campaign, TN)
• Leigh Bost, Patagonia Atlanta (GA)
• Brad & Shelli Stanback (NC)
• The Young Family Foundation (AL)
• Rachel Hopkins (Raleigh, NC)
• Alex Durand & Laura Rigell (TennYEN, TN)