Profession: Field representative for Rep. Heath Shuler's office
Funding: Top donors: Rep. Heath Shuler ($2,000), former Old Fort mayor Garland Norton ($2,000). “Somewhere around $10,000 total.”
1. Do you favor A) creating a regional water authority, B) giving the existing system to the Metropolitan Sewerage District, or C) leaving it under Asheville's control? Why?
I believe that local and regional resources should be controlled by local and regional elected officials.
2. Do you support granting domestic-partner rights and/or benefits to Buncombe County employees? (Yes/No) Why?
While I believe in fairness for everyone, my number-one priority is helping to provide good jobs for our community and an education system to guarantee a ready workforce.
3. Do you favor offering tax breaks and other economic-development incentives to companies that agree to move here or expand existing facilities and hire local workers? (Yes/No) Why?
It does no good to recruit large employers if we aren’t going to offer a completive bid. Each opportunity needs to be judged on long-term results. It is just as important to allow small businesses to start up or grow. That is my highest priority.
4. Do you think the county should make funding the Connect Buncombe greenways a high priority? (Yes/No) Why?
I support greenways, but my highest priority will be helping to provide good jobs for our community and an education system to guarantee a ready workforce.
5. What’s the most important role of county government in job creation?
It’s a juggling act, being proactive on business growth while supporting a living wage and protecting our environment. We need to help, not hinder, business growth that provides good-paying jobs and maintains this beautiful environment in which we live.