Profession: Regional manager for the YWCAs of the Southeast region
Funding: My only report submitted since filing for office was a semiannual report, and no fundraising had yet occurred. But unofficially, my top donor is Becky Anderson ($300), and I have raised about $6,500.
Endorsements: Sierra Club
1. Do you favor A) creating a regional water authority, B) giving the existing system to the Metropolitan Sewerage District, or C) leaving it under Asheville's control? Why?
C. Asheville has demonstrated excellence in system management and invested $40 million in infrastructure repairs. A recent legislative report distorts historical facts, ignores present realities and recommends seizure of a public asset. This seizure will cost current ratepayers more. It’s the wrong time to force this questionable model down ratepayers’ throats.
2. Do you support granting domestic-partner rights and/or benefits to Buncombe County employees? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes. All employees should be treated equally. There should not be two classes of employees.
3. Do you favor offering tax breaks and other economic-development incentives to companies that agree to move here or expand existing facilities and hire local workers? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes. Until the game of state incentives changes, I will be supportive of participating in this effort on behalf of our community, assuming the “end results” are worthy (the number of jobs, amount of wages and property investment).
4. Do you think the county should make funding the Connect Buncombe greenways a high priority? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes. Investments in greenways have multiple public benefits — transportation, recreation, health and job recruitment! New Belgium cited greenways as a reason for locating their business here.
5. What’s the most important role of county government in job creation?
Working collaboratively with other governmental entities to invest in our quality of place and educate our workforce.