A poll* of Asheville voters shows that 82% oppose the transfer of the City's water system to an unelected board. The poll was conducted among all City voters who voted in at least two of the last three municipal elections. And yet the state seems determined to do just that - to transfer Asheville's water system to an unelected board.
Representative Tim Moffitt (R-Buncombe) and the state legislature have set out to weaken cities and counties and strip them of their assets. Asheville's airport: gone. Buncombe's ability to make its own election rules: gone. Asheville's water system: threatened.
*PARC PAC Poll Methodology:
• About 13,000 people voted in at least two of the last three municipal elections.
• Of those, we had phone numbers for about 8500.
• The polling company deleted people on the Do Not Call registry.
• About 2,000 of the numbers we had were no longer in service.
• About 2,500 of the calls went to voice mail.
• About 700 numbers did not answer.
• About 1,300 numbers were busy.
• About 500 hung up.
• About 1,500 people stayed on the line and completed the poll.
On Aug.19, the group released a similar poll it says shows that people don't want a hotel downtown on Haywood property.