Greetings Community Leaders,
Does your community have a great idea, but needs some help putting it into action?
This summer, the Asheville Design Center will be hosting a ten-week program (June 2 - Aug 8) comprised of collegiate level students in the fields of design, planning, and construction to design and construct a small community-based project. We are looking for project ideas and would like to know if your community would like to be the host for the summer studio.
Project proposals are due by March 14, 2014.
To submit your proposal online, visit our DesignBuild Studio website (link below) and click on the "Submit a Project Proposal" button. PDFs for download are also available on the site. Please take the time to review the attached guidelines and community flier.
We are looking for a community or neighborhood that:
· has an association of elected members that represent the community
· has already identified a small scale public space project that could be designed and built within ten weeks (bus shelter, community garden pavilion, sports shelter, amphitheater, etc.). This project ideally integrates a physical structure/space with the surrounding landscape.
· has community members that would be able to work closely with the students in both the design and building stages of the project
· would be able to help contribute a small percentage to the cost of buildings materials ($1000-$5000) and help identify other sources of funding
· would be able to help maintain the project after it is completed
The Asheville Design Center will provide:
· 12-16 collegiate level students in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, planning, and construction management who will work with a yet to be determined community on the vision and implementation of a project over 10 weeks.
· classroom and shop space (at AB Tech)
· supervision, training, skill development and project management for all those involved in the project
· all necessary tools, etc.
· design professional to assist with the planning of the project
· permitted drawings and associated costs
ADC is partnering with AB Tech to make this studio available.
Let us know if have the perfect project or an awesome idea. And please pass this announcement onto others that may have a similar interest.
Feel free to contact Chris Joyell (firstname.lastname@example.org, 828.782.7894) to discuss your idea and tell us why you think your community would be a good fit for this project.
Read the full article
Read more articles in:News