Press ReleaseUniversity of North Carolina Asheville
UNC Asheville will hold its Homecoming 2014 celebration, from February 27-March 2. With the theme “Bulldogs on Broadway,” alumni and students will stage the annual Homecoming Parade, Lip Synch and Step Show. Events open to the public include the following:
The Homecoming Parade, Pep Rally and Athletics Hall of Fame – Friday, Feb. 28
• The parade will roll down University Heights at 4 p.m. with floats created by a host of UNC Asheville organizations, departments and individuals.
• The Men’s and Women’s Basketball Pep Rally follows the parade at 4:30 p.m. at the Bulldog Statue on the Justice Center Lawn.
• The UNC Asheville Athletics Hall of Fame “Celebration of Champions and Leaders,” presented by TD Bank, takes place at 5:30 p.m. in the Kimmel Arena Scholarship Deck.
Basketball – Thursday, Feb. 27 and Saturday, March 1
• Thursday night – The Bulldog women take on Campbell University at Kimmel Arena, at 7:30 p.m.
• Saturday – To get ready for the Bulldog hoops doubleheader, a pre-game tailgate party will be held from 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the Karpen Hall parking lot.
• Saturday – Bulldog doubleheader: The women host Coastal Carolina at 2 p.m. and the men take on Gardner-Webb at 4:30 p.m. in key Big South Conference battles.
Baseball – all weekend
• The Bulldogs host Eastern Kentucky in a three-game series at Greenwood Field, with games at 3 p.m. on Friday, and at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
The Arts – Friday, Feb. 28 and Sunday, March 2
• Friday – The Annual Alumni Art Exhibit features the works of ceramicist Emily Ellison ’13. A reception with the artist takes place from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on Friday in the Highsmith Art and Intercultural Gallery on campus.
• Friday night – Students will compete in a LipSynch Competition at 7 p.m. and a Greek Step Show at 8 p.m. in Lipinsky Auditorium. Step shows, popularized by historically black fraternities, feature high-energy synchronized dance routines, comprising elements of African dances and military exhibition drills.
• Sunday – UNC Asheville’s Wind Ensemble and Chamber Symphony will perform Beethoven Symphony No. 1 and Sousa’s Madness for Marches medley, under the direction of Milton Crotts.
For tickets to sports games visit uncabulldogs.com. All other homecoming events are free. For more information, call UNC Asheville's Student Activities, Involvement and Leadership Office at 828.251.6990 or go to the Homecoming 2014 website.