• Seems that Asheville painter Bob Godfrey spent the day after his retirement party riding around Asheville in a chauffeured Town Car with an internationally famous artist. What fun!
• Bill Clemmons' thesis exhibit at the Fine Art Museum in Cullowhee was the most outstanding show by a contemporary artist seen in these parts in some time. The work was fresh and innovative, and the presentation was nothing short of brilliant.
• Congratulations to Madison County artist Dianne Cable on the exhibit of her intriguing mixed-media works in Chapel Hill's public library.
• Julyan Davis is a good landscape painter, but she's at her best painting quirky interiors and dilapidated houses. Her work in the Showcase Gallery at Blue Spiral is realistic, but has contemporary relevance. It's up through Aug. 26.
• The four-artist exhibit Many Things at Once, at the Arts Council, is worth a look: Pattiy Torno's quilts, Lesley Keeble's sculptures and paintings by Ursula Gullow and Les Caison. The show closes Aug. 29.