WNC Foster/Adopt 2010 Fall Festival Nov. 13
From Buncombe County's Department of Social Services:
The WNC Foster/Adopt Fall Festival November 13
Children who age out of foster care without being adopted have a very high chance of ending up homeless or in the prison system within a year after leaving the foster care system. Why? Because children need caring, stable adults in their lives to support them in making a healthy transition to adulthood. Come learn how you can change a child’s life forever.
This year’s Foster/Adopt Fall Festival will be held at the Crowne Plaza – off of I-240 on Resort Drive between the Westgate Shopping Plaza and Sam’s Club – on Saturday, November 13th from 2-5 in the afternoon. The event is hosted by the Buncombe County Department of Social Services and WNC foster care agencies.
This fun, free event focuses on increasing community awareness of all the multitude of ways in which people can help kids – including foster care, adoption, respite, mentoring, sponsoring, etc.
There is a strong emphasis on finding foster and adoptive homes. But by inviting both the general public and the participating agencies to interact, network, and learn from each other, we hope that there will be an overall increase in understanding of how we can all help children – whether it’s through adoption, fostering, supporting, or our choice of careers. It is through this sort of community collaboration that the children have the best hope of finding themselves supported by loving and understanding families and by quality services.
Popular sections of the Foster/Adopt Fall Festival include:
1. The main “General Information” area – where agencies from across WNC will set up tables and provide information about becoming a foster or adoptive parent.
2. An area of “Child-Specific Recruitment” – where people can learn more about the children who are currently needing adoptive homes. This area will feature the children’s photos, their profiles…and their social workers may also be in attendance to speak with families directly.
3. An opportunity to “Talk to a Family Right Here” – a popular section that is staffed by foster and adoptive parents so that people can talk to a family about what the experience is like.
4. And, of course, a fun “Kids Area” – complete with arts & crafts, face painting, music, light snacks, and more.
We hope that this will be a way for people interested in adoption to learn more, have their questions answered, and possibly even learn about a child who belongs in their lives.
We hope that you – and 20 of your best friends ☺ – can stop by!
Please call me anytime for more information!
Recruitment Specialist, Buncombe County DSS
The WNC Foster/Adopt Fall Festival brought to you by
Buncombe County DSS and WNC Foster Care Agencies
Where: The Crowne Plaza
Off of I-240 on Resort Dr. between Sam’s Club and Westgate Plaza
When: Saturday, November 13th, 2010, from 2 – 5 pm (Drop in anytime!)
• Learn how to become a foster and/or adoptive parent;
• Find out more about children who need a family now;
• Talk to families who have fostered and adopted;
• Bring your own kids – there will be arts & crafts activities for them, face painting and light snacks.
** Admission – and parking – are FREE! **
For More Info Call: Erica Jourdan at 828-775-2404 or email at: email@example.com