Blogwire is a compilation of local news and information gathered by area citizens and Xpress staff. The Blogwire news aggregator includes press releases, stories from other news outlets, opinion pieces and updates from area blogs
Posting to Blogwire is open to any resident interested in participating. We welcome you to post what you see as important local news and information. Contact us to join.
Buncombe County announces:
Effective July 1: Prenatal Care services will no longer be offered at Buncombe County Department of Health; however, the Department of Health will continue to provide support services for pregnant women and children, and will continue to be responsible for assuring access to prenatal care services.
The following providers will assure that prenatal care services are available for pregnant women who are Medicaid eligible, uninsured and under-insured:
Minnie Jones Health Center - located at 257 Biltmore Ave, near the hospitals (285-0622)
MAHEC Family Health Center – located at 118 WT Weaver Blvd, near UNC-Asheville (257-4730)
MAHEC Women’s Health – located at 93 Victoria Rd, near the hospitals (258-1202)
Effective July 12: STD Services (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) will be joining other Clinical Services at 53 S. French Broad Ave in downtown Asheville. This building is located at the corner of S. French Broad Ave and Hilliard Street, across the street from Aston Park and from United Way.
Buncombe County Department of Health Services & Locations (as of July 2011)
BC Department of Health’s Clinical Services at 53 S. French Broad Avenue include:
• Family Planning (birth control methods, Pap tests, pregnancy tests, emergency contraception)
• Breast and Cervical Cancer Control (BCCCP) and WiseWoman programs (breast and cervical exams, mammograms, heart health screening and prevention education)
• Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD testing & treatment, HIV testing) at 53 S. French Broad location beginning July 12
• Lab and Pharmacy for health services clients
WIC Services (nutrition and breastfeeding support) are conveniently located in three areas of the county:
• 297 Haywood Street, located just off Patton Avenue in downtown Asheville, near Patton Avenue bridge
• Buncombe County Human Services – WEST, located at 339 Leicester Highway, Suite 120
• Black Mountain United Methodist Church, at 101 Church Street in Black Mountain (1st Monday of month)
Environmental Health Services are located at 30 Valley Street, downtown Asheville (250-5016)
Birth & Death Certificates are located at 200 College Street, 4th floor, downtown Asheville (250-5213)
All other BC Department of Health services are located at 35 Woodfin Street (Ground Floor –“A” Level):
• Immunizations (including Foreign Travel Immunizations)
• TB Services (TB skin tests, x-ray screening & evaluation, treatment)
• School Health Nursing & Community Health Outreach
For more information or to make BCDH appointments, please call 250-5000.