ACT fundraiser week DramaRama is coming
What is DramaRama? According to a press release from Asheville Community Theatre, it's "ACT's new fundraiser - and it's an entire week of unique, affordable, fun events." Xpress will run a full feature on fashion show and competition Costume Drama, slated for Monday, June 9. But here's the rest of the week's events (culled from ACT's newsletter):
• On Saturday, July 7 at 2:30 p.m., DramaRama kicks off with a staged reading of Last Stop, Old, a new play written by Patsy Clarke in collaboration with Ellen Landau and directed by Arnold Wengrow. ...Stay for a slice of cake and a glass of champagne after the show - a reception will follow the staged reading. Tickets are $20.
• On Monday, July 9 at 7:30 p.m. at the Renaissance Hotel Asheville, local designers compete by creating a unique look using materials in one of four categories: feathers, floral, paper, or tape in this Project Runway-esque show. Winners receive cash prizes ($500 for the overall winner, and $250 for the winner of each category) – and you help choose the winner by voting on the top designs while donating to ACT (one dollar equals one vote)! Tickets are $10.00. Cash bar opens at 6:30 pm.
• On Tuesday, July 10 at 7:30 p.m., Tom Chalmers has cherry-picked an all-star cast of Listen to This favorites for an unforgettable night of storytelling. Though it’s usually performed in 35below, we’re going to need more space for these heavy hitters – join us on the Mainstage for this special event! Performers include Waylon Wood, Betsy Puckett, and Carla Pridgen with songs by Rod Murphy. Tickets for The Best of Listen to This are $10.
• ACT is showing the Sing-a-Long version of"Grease" at the Fine Arts Theatre on Thursday, July 12 at 7:30 pm. Costumes are strongly encouraged.
• ACT unveils TWO variety shows of the best sort! On Friday, June 13, performers as young as 9 show their stuff in The Good Old Fashioned Variety Show – Junior Version at 7:30 p.m. on ACT’s Mainstage. These future rock stars, modern dancers, magicians, and belters prove just how much talent can be found in Asheville! Emceed by Bradshaw Call with music by Aaron Price. Tickets are $10-$15.
DramaRama restaurant partners are:
Sunday, July 8: Pack's Tavern
Monday, July 9: Storm Rhum Bar & Bistro
Tuesday, July 10: Strada
Wednesday, July 11: Olive or Twist