Sprinkler system extinguishes Caledonia Road fire
From the Asheville Fire Department:
On February 25, 2013 at around 11:00 p.m. the Asheville Fire Department was dispatched to 60 Caledonia Rd. in response to a fire alarm activation. In route, the call was upgraded to a possible structure fire due to the report of an activated sprinkler system. Crews arrived on the scene of the apartment complex and reported that a mattress, which had been on fire, was now extinguished thanks to the activation of the sprinkler system within apartment 409. The apparent accidental fire originated in the bedroom at the mattress and was also extinguished in the same location minimizing any further smoke or fire damage. There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters. Statistics show that the installation of both smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system reduces the risk of death in a home fire by 82% and lessens fire damage.